Welcome to Our Savior’s Lutheran Church! In our community, we are often known as the church with the bell tower. We are, of course, thankful for our beautiful building, but Our Savior’s is so much more than a building.
…a people who have gathered together in the name of Jesus to celebrate God’s love.
…a small town congregation with a world wide mission.
…a 140-year-old congregation with a contemporary feel.
…a friendly, welcoming church that sends our members back out into the world as missionaries, ambassadors of Christ, to share the good news of Jesus Christ in all that they do.
History of Our Savior’s
In September of 1872, a group of Danish people met and organized what is now Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. These people named their new church the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church and for the first fifty years, Danish was the only language used in both church and Sunday School. For the first two years, Rev. Rasmus Anderson of Waupaca made the long trip by horse and buggy for monthly services. His salary was $100 a year. In 1874, the Rev. Niels Thomsen became the first resident pastor. He was a man who ‘spoke straight out’ and loved singing. He was well respected by his congregation.
In the late 1920’s Danish was being replaced by English at some services, and by 1930 the word ‘Danish’ was taken out of the church’s official name. We were now ‘Our Savior’s Lutheran Church’.
In 1954 land was purchased on South Commercial Street and in 1956 a new church was built and dedicated. We are still in this location today, having had a major remodel/addition in 2010.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with about 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations across the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more on the ELCA website: www.elca.org